Friday, February 27, 2009

Windstone Editions Cat Figurines


This is a post that I've really been looking forward to writing, because I already own two of these sculptures myself, and think the workmanship and quality is outstanding. I first came across the Windstone Editions sculptures in the dealers room at a science fiction convention years ago. (Trust me when I say that the overlap between science fiction & fantasy readers with cat lovers is huge.) Then my brother-in-law and his wife coincidentally gave me a gorgeous sculpture (not pictured here) consisting of seven cats around a votive holder, and I immediately recognized it as the same artist whose work I'd been admiring. They had found it in a gift store in Canada.

And then, it turned out that my husband had already purchased for me the "Cat's Cradle" sculpture pictured above, which features a mama cat with her tiny kitten, but he was holding it until my birthday to give it to me. He'd gotten it at that science fiction convention after watching me drool over it for a few years.

And the good news is that some of these figurines are small enough to fit in a stocking and make it really special. Aside from Cat's Cradle, there are also two special little kittens called Tiger (right) and Puffin (below left). Each of these sculptures is $27 plus shipping, although I note that Cat's Cradle is currently out of stock. If you have your heart set on that one, check back for it and let them know via their contact form on the website. But maybe Tiger or Puffin are just what you're looking for.

The shop has many other categories besides cats and kittens, including gargoyles, dragons and dragon eggs, griffins, and more. Some of the sculptures are by M. Pena and others are by Maya Hill. Some come in various colors/finishes, and there's even a "paint-your-own" category! But my favorites will always be M. Pena's monochrome cat sculptures.

Please note that these images, as well as the sculptures themselves, are copyrighted by Windstone Editions and may not be reproduced without permission.

What: Windstone Editions Cat Figurines
Where: Windstone Editions website
How much (as of today's post): $27.00 (plus shipping)


No comments: