Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Kids Garden in a Bag


The other day in one of my online communities that has to do with food and nutrition, a person asked about Easter basket stuffers that are non-food, since she didn't want the Easter bunny to bring just candy. Here's something that would do nicely: a kid's "garden in a bag" from the Branch website. I love plants myself, and I like the idea of getting kids interested in growing things. This kit contains a plastic-lined kraft paper bag, soil, flower seeds, and a wood planting stake. The bag can be colored and personalized, and then the plant is grown right in the bag which is also waterproof. Once the plant is big enough, it can be transplanted elsewhere.

I wasn't sure whether to call this an eco-friendly gift since the bag is plastic-lined, but I think it does pretty well, all things considered. Where I live we can recycle all kinds of paper, so I would even be able to recycle the bag once I took the plastic lining out.

The following plants are available: sunflower, nasturtium, strawberry, tomato, a pretty Mother's Day assortment, and more! Altogether I counted 21 different options. Cat grass, dog grass (I never knew there was such a thing!), a "thank you" assortment, a number of herbs.... It's a lovely selection. The prices vary based on the plant, from $9.00 to $16.00.

What: Kids Garden in a Bag
Where: Branch website
How much (as of today's post): ranges from $9.00 to $16.00 (plus shipping)


No comments: