Monday, December 8, 2008

Sunprint Kit


I came across the "sunprint kit" on the Spectrum Scientifics blog, and I think this looks like so much fun! The kit comes with photographic paper and a sheet of acetate; what you do is put various objects on top of the paper and expose it to the sun, then put it in water to "develop" it. You end up with a white image of the object's shadow on blue paper, as shown in the picture to the left.

The product information says that this can be used by children age 6 and up. Honestly, I can't think of many people this wouldn't be fun for. I've just ordered one for myself to experiment with.

My only caveat is that the shipping costs are a bit prohibitive. The kit itself is only $6, but their flat shipping rate for orders from $0.01 to $49.99 is $7.95! So you may not want to order these unless you're ordering for more than one recipient, so that you can spread the shipping cost out a bit per person.

(And by the way, this would go great in a blue color-themed stocking, such as I wrote about on December 6.)

What: Sunprint Kit
Where: Spectrum Scientifics
How much (as of today's post): $6.00


No comments: