Monday, July 12, 2010

Wizard of Oz Magnets


Oh dear! The weekend completely got away from me. Rather than play catch-up, I'm going to start fresh today with these Wizard of Oz magnets. And I chose them for today because I had an Oz-infused weekend! On Saturday, my husband and I went to see the touring company performance of "Wicked", which I missed last time it came through Houston. I read the book years ago and even got to meet the author, and I'm a huge fan of Kristen Chenowith, who originated the role of Glinda in the Broadway show, so I've been dying to see this show for some time. My husband was willing to go but not particularly excited since not only did he not know anything about "Wicked", he had never seen the movie "The Wizard of Oz.

Well, of course we needed to remedy that, so on Friday night we watched the movie. The most fun part was watching my husband react to lines like "Lions, and tigers, and bears, oh my!" and "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!" and saying "So, that's where that line comes from!"

And was he ever glad that he saw the movie, because there are so many jokes in "Wicked" that depend on it. As for the show itself, I loved the story more than I expected (I've forgotten a lot since I read the book so long ago, and I'm sure there were some changes), and did not like some of the music as much as I expected. But that said, there are two songs, "Popular" and "Defying Gravity", that are worth the price of admission alone.

What does any of this have to do with stocking stuffers? Almost nothing, except if you have an Oz-enthusiast in your family, you could do worse than to fill their stockings with a magnet cut-out of the ruby slippers, or Glinda, or the Wicked Witch of the West. There's also a group shot from the poppy field scene. (I've also seen the same cut-out images as stickers at Michael's, by the way.) The magnets are $2.99 apiece at FridgeDoor.com, or you can buy the set of four for $9.95.

[Edited to add: In ironic timing, I just now saw a news item saying that movement seems to be picking up on a movie adaptation of "Wicked"! I had been wondering about that this weekend, and was thinking "please let them get Kristen Chenowith for Glinda!"]

What: Wizard of Oz Magnets
Where: FridgeDoor.com
How much (as of today's post): $2.99 (plus shipping)

No comments: